Doing what we do best... dining

Monday, May 30, 2011

More Miller Time

Do you ever feel like you're just about to tip over the edge of Overwhelmed Mountain? Of course you do. We all do, from time to time. Yet we keep adding to our list of responsibilities. We join just one more committee or civic group. We say yes to requests before even thinking of the possibility of saying no. We feel compelled to help and share our talents, sometimes without consideration for the time/energy commitment. I've done this. Oh WOW, have I done this. I realized that there was a problem when I began to feel anxious about accepting a lunch or happy hour invitation. Fearing that one of these groups, organizations or possibly even my JOB might need my time. Concern that I might simply be too exhausted to enjoy a social call has made me turn down many requests. It's time to learn to say no.

Saying no could open so many doors! I could again find time (read: energy) to enjoy Miller-Time. I could have more lunches with friends & family. Finish reading the book I got for Christmas and have yet to explore beyond chapter 2. I could start swimming again. God, I love swimming. Decorating! We are moving into our new house in just over a week - and we have so many ideas and plans......
It's reasonably likely that I would have more time and inspiration to write. It's been duly noted that I have lacked some zest and timeliness on Miller-Thyme postings. Even though I love to write - and eat.

Speaking of eating, this Brian-Creation is one I really love to eat. It's quick, healthy and oh-so-tasty. It's ever evolving. We've never made it the same way twice. It's really all about what fresh veggies, protein and herbs we have on hand. It's a great one to play with. Say YES to this!

Lettuce Wraps

You'll need:

1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
10-15 lettuce leaves (romaine and Boston lettuce work well)
2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (we have also used chicken thighs and pork chops)
1-2 jalapeƱo peppers, diced (more or less, to taste)
1 small onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 cup fresh ginger, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped (we use shiitake or cremini)
1/4 cup fresh scallions, chopped
1/4 cup Bragg liquid amino (or your favorite soy sauce)
Sriracha - to taste
Fresh herbs - whatever you have on hand (cilantro works well)
Olive oil - enough to coat the bottom of a large skillet
White wine (a little for cooking, a little for drinking)



The steps:

Begin cooking the rice, per package instructions. While it's cooking, saute the chicken until just cooked through. Remove from heat, transfer to a large bowl.

In the same pan, add a touch of wine and olive oil. Begin sauteing the veggies. Start with those taking longest to cook first (carrots, celery). Then add onions, scallions, jalapeƱos and mushrooms. Add the herbs, amino/soy sauce, and sriracha. Stir well and cook for another minute.

Once all are cooked to desired tenderness, return chicken to pan and add garlic & ginger.



By now, the rice should be done. Put in into a large bowl.

Once the chicken/veggie mixture is done, add to the bowl and mix with rice.

Serve with lettuce leaves. Spoon, wrap & eat. Mmmm... delicious.









No comments:

Post a Comment